Has it been a month already, since we threw a graduation party for Timothy? Yikes! June is flying by, just as May did. *Sigh* There just aren’t enough hours in the day for all that I’d like to accomplish during the summertime!
One must make the time for fun, when one has so many work-related goals, right? Summertime is great for getting outdoor work done, but also for swimming and going bowling with the kids and for evening bike rides and for . . . making cookies.
I saw a recipe for some cookies with M&Ms and coconut and crushed pretzels (of all things) in a magazine when I was casting about for inspiration for a menu for Timothy’s graduation party food.
I guess I am lucky, in that when I asked Timothy what he wanted me to make for his celebration, he said something characteristically thoughtful.
“Whatever would be easiest for you, Mom.”
Awwww. He’s such a sweet boy. But honestly, you may have noticed by now that I’m not the type of person who chooses what course to take because it’s the easiest. Oh, my, no (another sigh, this one heavier.) Honestly, some days I wish that I did take easier routes, but no, that would be too dull, and dull–though admittedly attractive, many days–is not me.
Back to the cookies. I saw this recipe, with all the goodies I happen to love inside them–really, chocolate and coconut and crushed-up pretzels? This, I knew, I’d love. So when my Mom asked me how she could help me to get ready for the graduation party, I asked her to make me a bushel of these cookies. And she did. And they were fab-u-lous.
Do you just love sweet and salty together, or is it just me? Consider–hot salty French fries dipped in sweet, cold ice cream? Love that. Cold sweet watermelon with just a sprinkling of salt? Oh yeah, baby, bring it on. Salted nut roll? Mmm, yes. I could list more examples, but then it would be just that much longer before you could make these cookies, so I’ll cut to the chase and just share this recipe with you, already. Originally it came from Taste of Home, though I’ve made it even better by adding a few things, naturally.
But that’s just me, you know.
Here ’tis and enjoy!
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 5 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 cups miniature pretzels, broken
- 3 cups flaked coconut
- 2 cups milk chocolate M&M’s
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. The dough will be fairly stiff.
- Eat the M&Ms that fall to the bottom of the bowl. No, really, that's part of the recipe, trust me. Do it. Have a glass of milk, while you're at it.
- Shape dough into balls (about ¼ cup) and place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until just golden.
- Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
I’d love to hear back from you if you make these cookies, and about how they contributed to a general sense of summertime fun in your home!
More from my site
- Building a hoophouse, Phase 3: time for fortifications
- CHEAP & EASY Deer Fencing that WORKS!