Little Mack has been in a funk. I can only guess why: he has some loose teeth that are bothering him; he’s an outdoorsy soul (like his mama) and the winter is getting a little long in the tooth; we’ve been very busy here with melodrama preparations and he’s getting pushed aside in the shuffle; I don’t know.
Perhaps a combination of all of these?
I think it’s time for a bit of pampering of my little man, and so I think I’ll ask him to make something wonderful with me today: hot Butter-Dips! We’ll put our aprons on and put on some happy music and grab our rolling pins and just enjoy ourselves making these Dips, and then we’ll eat them, of course–straight out of the oven, dipped in honey! They are crunchy on the bottom and tender inside, and simply scrumptious.
Never have so few minutes of effort resulted in such great rewards, and you can quote me on that! 😉
I’ve been making these delicious biscuit-like delicacies for years, and they never fail to put a smile on the faces of everybody in the house. They’re very easy to make and go great with soup or stew. Maybe you have time to make some today? If not—make the time! Make the time! I guarantee it: they’ll make your family smile!
I’m smiling just looking at this picture. Yummm.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 2 Tablespoons honey or sugar
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- sesame seeds or poppy seeds, or wheat bran, optional
- Melt half of the butter in each of two jelly-roll pans while oven preheats to 400. Don’t let it burn! Remove pans. Mix dry ingredients; add milk, and then stir until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a well-floured countertop and roll to coat with flour. Gently knead a few times. (Dough will be quite soft.) Roll out 1/4 thick. Cut into 1 inch by 4 inch strips. Dip each strip in melted butter, coating both sides. Arrange strips closely on baking sheet, sprinkle with sesame seeds or whatever, and bake at 425 for 10 to 14 minutes or until golden brown. Have honey ready for dipping!
Can you think of somebody who might enjoy this recipe? Then, please do me (and them!) a favor and share this post and *hugs* Thank you!
- Eventually, Mothers Grow Up Too . . . Ideally . . .
- Heirlooms, GMOs, Open-Pollinated, Hybrids . . . which do I choose?